Recipe of the month | Banana and chocolate chip loaf
A great way to use up ripe bananas this easy Mary Berry recipe is simple and yummy. I have adapted it slightly omitting a chocolate topping.
Preparation time: less than 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 mins
1 ripe banana
1 tbsp milk
50g/2oz soft butter or baking spread
75g/3oz plain flour
75g/3oz caster sugar
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
50g/2oz chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to Gas 3/325F/160C. Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin or lay out six muffin cases
- Use a fork to mash the peeled banana in a mixing bowl. Add remaining cake ingredients (except the chocolate chips) and beat with a whisk until smooth
- Stir in the chocolate chips and spoon the mixture into prepared tin or muffin cases.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until well risen, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and golden brown.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, remove from tin and leave to cool on wire rack. Remove muffin cases from tin and set aside to cool on wire rack.