I like to bake and at Christmas over the past few years I have baked some treats for my family. This year I wanted to find a sugar free treat for my Dad as he needs to keep an eye on his levels due to diabetes risk and I found this recipe.
I opted to use Candarel sweetner in mine and instead of making the dough into logs and making circles I opted for festive cookie cutters. I also added a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon as its Christmas!
190g plain flour
5 tablespoons icing sugar or sweetner if going sugar free
1 pinch salt
170g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1/2 vanilla pod, seeds scraped or vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1.Mix together the flour, icing sugar and salt.
2.Tip in the cubed butter and vanilla and rub together until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add the egg yolk and combine until a solid ball of dough is formed.
4. Roll dough into two logs, approximately 3cm in diameter and 25cm long.
5. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 2 hours, or up to 5 days if making ahead.
6. Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
7. Once dough is chilled and solid, remove cling film.
8. Slice into 5mm rounds and place on baking tray.
9. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a light golden colour.
10.Cool and store in an airtight container.
They turned out well and my Dad loved them. They are sweet and crumbly and buttery.
This is my last blog until after Christmas so I wish you all a happy and healthy one whatever you are doing and see you on the other side!
Love and sprinkles